0 comments

Reply To: Amendments to Art. III (proposed by Giuseppe Martinico and Cristina Fasone)

By Herbert Tombeur

Home Forums 05. Article III – Powers of the Legislative Branch Amendments to Art. III (proposed by Giuseppe Martinico and Cristina Fasone) Reply To: Amendments to Art. III (proposed by Giuseppe Martinico and Cristina Fasone)

Participant

A president’s veto or binding observation in legislative affairs seems too ambitious when constituting a European Federation. This Federation will count at least 300 million people. Moreover, old nation States in Europe will not disappear through it, on the contrary, they will survive in this world of global players as Members of the EF. Hence, I share Martinico’s opinion that the President of such a large and diverse unit should only have executive power, reporting the use of it to the European Congress (although he or she would be elected directly by the citizens in the EF, I presume).

However, the President could be a mediator between the two Houses when having a legislative conflict, i.e. a persistent disagreement. In such cases, he or she could be the chairman/-woman of the Mediation Committee, mentioned above by Martinico, without having a vote in it. the Committee members would be a number of delegated members of each House, looking for a compromise.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}
en_GBEnglish (UK)